Posted By Alex Symington D.C ~ 17th April 2015
It’s the Royal Horticultural Society’s National Gardening Week from 13th – 19th April. This national celebration of gardening, coinciding with a week of wonderful weather, will certainly encourage both the novice and seasoned gardener out amongst their lawns and beds. National Gardening Week with Camden Chiropractic – Chiropractor Camden and whatever task you are looking to undertake in the garden, follow our simple advice to keep the focus away from aches and pains.
– Gardening is like any other exercise; you need to warm up first. Don’t go straight into heavy garden work; start off with lighter jobs as this will lessen the chance of muscle strain.
– Rather than leaning or reaching, move the ladder or step regularly to keep up with where you are. Grasping or reaching further away from the body increases the forces acting on your spine, the closer to your body they are the less force they exert.
– Any kind of ladder must be firmly and safely planted in position and, if possible, have someone else there to keep an eye on things.
Clever spring pruning
– Get as close as possible to the things you are pruning and avoid overstretching to reach the area you are dealing with.
– Invest in some long handled secateurs to reach plants and bushes that are beyond normal reach.
Take a break
– Vary your activity by spending no more than 20-30 minutes on any one thing and make sure you take regular breaks.
– If you are planning a trip to the local DIY store to buy heavy items such as cement or gravel, buy smaller bags rather than one big bag as they are easier and safer to carry.
– If you do buy heavy items, use a trolley and if on your own, ask an assistant at the store to help you.
– If buying things like compost, sand or gravel in bulkier amounts, shovel the contents of the large bags straight into smaller containers or wheelbarrow from the back of the car.
– Don’t lift with your arms straight out, keep the elbows bent and to your side to minimise the stress on your back.
We have certainly seen an increase in gardening related injuries over the last few weeks since the weather has improved. Now that National Gardening Week with Camden Chiropractic – Camden Chiropractor is in full swing keep these simple tips in mind when you are out enjoying yourself in the sunshine.
Start your journey to better health today.
Realise your full health potential with Camden Chiropractic – Chiropractor Camden.
Your premier Chiropractor in Camden Town.
Part of The SYMA Therapies Group